How to Use VPNs in Windows 10
VPNs provide a lot of benefits to anyone using the internet. You get to protect your online privacy without compromising the functionalities of the platform you are on. Connecting a VPN to your Windows 10 is not a difficult task. You have the option of downloading the apps from the windows store.
The advantage of using the app is that you get some bonus features. You can select the fastest connections or even block ads. The second option is to download it from the provider’s website.
Our article will explore how to use VPNs in Windows 10. We will show you how to install the VPN in some simple steps.
Understanding VPNs and How they Help?
A virtual private network or VPN is a system outside of the internet that gives you encryption and security for your data. Think of it like an SSL proxy. You get to protect your data from third-party access while maintaining anonymity while online.
A VPN also allows you to bypass filters to access content that may not be available in your region. You also get better performance and efficiency with regards to the use of bandwidth.
Setting Up the VPN with the Windows Built-In Feature
You will need the following.
Your VPN service of choice
- The protocol will have a significant role to play with the encryption strength. You have the options of PPTP, SSTP, L2TP/IP/Sec, or OpenVPN. The VPN provider will advise on the best protocol to use.
- A list of servers that the VPN provider can connect you to
- Creating and connecting to a profile with windows built-in VPN
Follow the step-by-step guide to create and connect to a profile.
- Click on the start button on the Windows 10 desktop
- From the menu, select settings
- Select Network and Internet
- On the right-hand side of the screen, select VPN
- Click on the Add a VPN Connection link. The system will direct you to a screen where you’ll do the configuration.
- Open the drop-down menu under VPN provider
- You will find the option Windows (built-in)
- Go to Connection name and type in your preferred name for the connection.
- Now go to server name or address. Fill in the server details given to you by the VPN provider.
- Next, go to VPN type. You must enter the protocol details shared with you by the VPN provider
- Move on to the drop-down menu for the type of sign-in information. Your VPN provider should share this information with you. If not, you will need to use the username and password selection.
- Once you fill in the necessary details, click on the Save button.
You have now successfully set up your VPN profile.
We can summarize the steps above as:-
Start > setting > network and internet > VPN > add a VPN connection > VPN provider > windows ( built-in) > connection name ( fill in relevant details) > server name or address ( fill in relevant details ) > VPN type ( select preferred protocol) > type of sign-in Info ( fill in relevant details) > Save.
To connect the profile:-
- Go back to network and internet on the settings page
- Select VPN from the right side of the screen
- Click on the VPN you have just created the profile for
- Click on connect
Installing the VPN on Windows with the Software
If you do not want to use the built-in windows feature, you can use the relevant software.
You will need to do the following:-
- Determine your VPN of choice and sign up on their website. Do your research on the best VPNs available in the market. With so many options, it can be difficult to decide on the best. See what kind of features you get at a minimum. Also, take the time to read customer reviews. You could save yourself a lot of headache by taking the time to see what people have to say about the VPN provider. Different subscription packages attract different costs that you need to be aware of.
- Once you sign up, download the software from the website
- Most providers ensure that the installation prompts are easy to follow. You should not have any problem with this step.
- Once you finish the installation, you will need to log into your account. You may need to provide a username and password that will allow you control of your software going forward.
- You now have the option of choosing a server you want to connect to. If you want to access restricted content, choose a server location in that particular country. If not, you can opt for a server near you. You also have the option of letting the VPN provider choose the server for you.
- Once you have done all this, click on connect and you are good to go.
Factors to Consider When Shopping For A VPN Provider
When shopping for a VPN, have the following considerations in mind.
- VPN Needs – Why do you need the VPN? When looking for the best VPN provider for you, determine what your needs are. Do you, for example, want to access content that has geo-blocking restrictions? Are you just looking for anonymity while online? Do you want additional security features?
- Compatibility – what devices is the VPN compatible with? In this case, you need one that can work on the Windows platform.
- Ease-of-use – is the VPN interface user friendly?
- Server access – how many servers will you get access to. This point is critical if you want to circumvent firewalls and geo-blocking.
- Budget – how much do you want to pay, and does the company offer money-back guarantee. Different VPNs offer different functionalities. The features you want may also impact the overall cost. Most have subscription packages that will give you access to the different features
- Customer support – what kind of customer support does the VPN provider have? Look for those with 24/7 customer support and ensure they are easily accessible via different platforms
VPNs provide many advantages. You get data encryption, anonymity while online, and the ability to circumvent firewalls or geoblocking. To use a VPN on the Windows platform, it is important to install it, and that is what we have shared above. Take due care when shopping for a VPN provider because they will determine the kind of experience you have.